Monday, January 9, 2017

Dr. AC's 2016 Horror Wrap-Up Extravaganza!




Howdy troops,

After much deliberation (clearly, since we're already a week into the New Year), here is my assessment of the year that was. All of the films listed below were encountered for the first time from January 1 to December 31, 2016 (i.e. no repeat viewings were eligible). To accommodate and acknowledge as many films as possible, I've broken them down into various categories in alphabetical order, with my top pick denoted with an asterisk. (*)


I noted in the 2015 wrap-up that my eye was starting to wander from the current horror fare, but I might as well have struck blind this year in terms of keeping up with 2016's fright offerings. Minus a Netflix subscription and with most of my reviewing duties focused on Blu-ray re-releases of older films, one could say that I wasn't even trying. (And they would probably be right. I don't want to say that I'm turning into Old Man AC, but my desire to keep up with the conversation has waned quite a bit. I'd rather revisit older films that I actually, you know, LIKE.)


Now, that's not to say I don't enjoy the conversation, so if you see a flick or two that you would like to chat about or that you think I might have overlooked, please do drop a line and let's rap about it!


Enough of my yakking - let's get into it!





TOP 10 HORROR RELEASES (in or around) 2016
The Binding
Francesca
Flowers
The Interior
Intruders
The Love Witch
The Shallows
*They Look Like People
Turbo Kid
*The Witch






HONORABLE MENTION
Bone Tomahawk
The Conjuring 2
Don't Breathe
The Hallow
Hush
The Neon Demon
The Pack
The Purge: Election Year






MIXED BAGS
Blair Witch
Shin Godzilla
They're Watching
Vampyres (2015)






TOP DISCOVERIES OF 2016 (i.e. non-2016 releases seen for the first time)
Black Candles
*Blood Glacier
Crimson Peak
Death Walks at Midnight
The Guest
Hellhole
Nightmares in Precinct 7
*Metamorphosis: The Alien Factor
Pigs
The Premonition
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
The Snowtown Murders
Tusk
Unfriended
When Animals Dream






“WILL THIS NEVER END?” ENDURANCE TESTS
Alien 2: On Earth
Backcountry
The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters
Critters 4
Destroyer
Malatesta's Carnival of Blood






WHAT THE $%!=+^*&*$%# DID I JUST WATCH? (IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY)
The Batwoman
Dangerous Men
Delirium
Demon Witch Child (aka The Possessed)
Folies Meurtrieres (aka Deadly Madness)
Mighty Peking Man, The (aka Goliathon)
The Sinful Dwarf
Sonny Boy
You Are Not I






WORST HORROR VIEW OF 2016
Bite



Be back in a bit with the Civilian Views, final tallies, and stats! Stay tuned....


.

No comments:

Post a Comment